Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Save a tree—practice a paperless classroom

Each school year, I choose a theme for my classroom. It’s usually a general or specific way in which I hope to make a positive change for my school year. One year I hung a large yellow smiley face in the back of my classroom and deemed the year “smile til it hurts.” Another year I decided to be “comfortably numb”—to not allow any bureaucratic educational red-tape paperwork bother me. This year, I began with a vow to eliminate paper usage in my classroom. Now for me, this is a pretty easy task. I teach in a classroom equipped with awesome computers and have a website that I post all lesson plans, assignments, announcements. My students also have access to a dropbox for handing in assignments electronically. And this is the year that I began to facilitate our high school’s first online class using Moodle which eliminates all need for paper. Every activity, assignment, quiz, and wiki is posted electronically and then graded complete with feedback through the site. So I’m good. But I’m also working on those around me. It really irritates me when a whole sheet of paper is used for something that could have been easily formatted on a half sheet thereby cutting down on paper usage by half, but also requiring that someone use a paper cutter. And I’m bugged by memos that come via email and then also on paper copy. Why? And teacher’s who copy mounds and mounds of handouts. Couldn’t at least some of these be distributed electronically? It just takes a little time and creativity. This paperless theme is one that will take me through the rest of my teaching days. It puts more responsibility on the students . . . good thing. It makes learning more fun and interactive for the students . . . good thing. It requires that students network both among themselves and with their teachers . . . good thing. It saves trees . . . awesome concept!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your comment about getting a message through email and then getting the same message in written paper form. It happens at my work place also. I often laugh to myself and think about those who still struggle to open their email.....let alone send one!

Anonymous said...

Diana Ross started singing in a trio as a teenager, and in 1960 she and her two partners, Florence Ballars (1943-76) and Mary Wilson (b. 1944) were signed to Motown Records as The Supremes.The group had 12 number one hits(1964-70), including "Baby Love" and "Stop! In the Name of Love" and were one of the most successful pop acts of the decade. Like her good friend Michael Jackson she became a favortie of the tabloids: in 1999 she was arrested for assaulting a security guard at London's Heathrow Airport and in 2002 she interrupted in Arizona for driving drunk, reslting in jail time and treatment for alcohol abuse

Anonymous said...

The famous person that shares the same birthday as me is David Hasslehoff. He and I were born on 7/17/. If you don’t know who he is he played big roles in Knight Rider, Bay Watch, and was very popular in Europe.