Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Shifting Classrooms

In Will Richardson’s Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms (2006), he outlines ten “Big Shifts” in education. Here’s a link to a slideshare that provides a brief look at each of these shifts.

One of these “Big Shifts” that I practice in my own classroom is Open Content. As Will puts it “Information that used to be found in textbooks is now a Google search away.” As a business technology teacher in a lab of totally up to date computers, I’ve been using “Open Content” for many years. But just recently, I’ve realized this big “shift” in using Moodle open-source course management system. With Moodle, I can pull together blogs, wikis, and podcasts, along with providing my students links to web content. I’ve pretty much eliminated textbooks in my classroom. It’s no longer “open your book to page 37.” I’m not the do all, provide all knowledge disseminator in my classroom anymore. The open world of knowledge is just a click away, and it’s equal responsibility among my students and myself to learn and share knowledge.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

With the expense of software upgrades, our district is talking much more about open Open Content. It is very difficult for school budgets to keep up with all of the technology needs especially with the speed that it changes. Your classroom sounds like it is has already been involved with many of these big shifts.

Anonymous said...

Creating Cute Cuddly Creatures

Anonymous said...

Creepy Creative Cool Creatures