Thursday, February 15, 2007

Where Has This Peanut Butter Icing Been All My Life?

This may sound like a strange title for a blog post and you’re probably thinking it’s going to be about food . . . and you will get the recipe if you read to the end . . . but really this blog post is about fascination of learning about and try new things and how the internet and technology opens a wealth of information to its users. So why the mention of peanut butter icing? The night before our first big snowfall and snow day from school this week, a luscious chocolate cake was baked in our household. It was decided that peanut butter icing was in order. Now I have three recipes tucked away in my recipe box which are pretty good, but decided that there could be something better out there. So off to the internet for a search on “peanut butter icing” I went where I found a peanut butter icing recipe from the Barefoot Contessa from the Food Network. Oh my gosh . . . it was fabulous, and I found myself saying, “Where has this peanut butter icing been all my life?”

Which then got me thinking, “Where has technology and the internet been all my life.” Well, of course, it was non-existent for 30 years of my life, and I guess you didn’t miss what you didn’t have. But I certainly couldn’t survive without it today. The internet keeps me connected, learning, writing, reading, teaching, thinking, entertained, enlightened, mystified, multi-tasking, and yes . . . eating well! From Yahoo to Amazon to You Tube to shopping to searching to sharing to voting (American Idol) to online classes to game playing with people from Bangladesh to new technologies and websites, blogs, wikis, WOW. There’s sooooooo much it’s overwhelming at times, but when I come across something new and exciting and useful I really do wonder how I ever survived without . . . So what’s your best technology or internet story. What site could you not live without. What piece of technology excites you and keeps you connected. Better yet, if you could invent the next greatest technological breakthrough . . . what would it be. Please comment while I go have another piece of chocolate cake with peanut butter icing!

Note: After writing this post, I saw on the news this morning a warning about peanut butter of all things. Here's the story. I used Jif.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well of the bat I had trouble finding any technology stories worth telling and know that I think of it, I still don't have any interesting technology stories. Yet I do have a website that I love. It is www.people.com. I love the way the stories are well rounded and about the world today. There are also entertainment articles and funny stories. I find myself going to this site all the time just to enjoy myself and read up on some things.

Mrs. Spear said...

Funny, I've never visited people.com before, although I used to read the magazine a lot many years ago. And believe it or not, my daughter just subscribed to it. We're waiting for the first issue to arrive. Thanks for sharing.