Wednesday, March 07, 2007

A Stab at Poetry

The topic of reading poetry came up in class recently . . . so I thought I'd jump on that idea. Below you will find the text of the poem "If." Read it and comment on any or all of the following:
  • Try to explain what you think the poem is doing and how the poem does it.
  • Understand the explicit, literal meaning.
  • Consider what's implied, unsaid, or suggested by asking questions about the poem.
  • Build an interpretation based on your speculations about what's implied (That's what's beautiful and worthwhile about poetry.
  • What is the poet's tone of voice or range of feeling?
  • Who is the poet and tell a little about him. When was it written?

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much,
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

This poem seems to be encouraging its reader to bring themselves to success but don't sacrifice your dignity doing it. The consideration of all the different types of characters of people in this world is what the author uses to show the different types of situations you need to avoid and to end up on top. Keep your chin up and don't fret about the problems you are met with. This poem is very very thought provoking and could be used as a guide is so many situations. It's tone of defiance against quitting has the awesome ability of inspiring the uninspired. After I read this I went to find who wrote this poem and discovered it was by Rudyard Kipling. I have always known Kipling as a very skilled and insparational author. I knew him immediatly as the author of the jungle book, which I read when I was younger. Even if the version I read was slightly altered. Rudyard Kipling's (1865-1936) 'If' first appeared in 1909 after one of his son's died. Wow Mrs. Spear, I loved this poem!!! This sent me on my own search of peoms to find something I Like and I found romance by Edgar Allen Poe's. Here is the link, http://www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/poe/poe_ind.html

Mrs. Spear said...

Excellent comments, Val. I truly believe that this is a poem to live by. Here are my impressions: Strive for greatness but always remain humble. Take the good with the bad but always keep your focus on the good. Hold true to your beliefs but keep an open mind. And know that you are not perfect so as to always be forgiving.

Thanks for pointing me to the Edgar Allan Poe collection and in particular the Romance poem. Here's my feeling after reading it: Oh, to be young and carefree and open to all the beauty of the earth. We need to keep that child-like outlook with us through all the days of our life--even if we only pull it out on occasion.

Anonymous said...

If you can beleive in your self. when every body is doubting you and when you trust in your self no matter what, you'll find your real self and your independece. ~ashley~

Mrs. Spear said...

Finding yourself and your independence certainly is crucial in life! As a teenager, this is something that you probably think about a lot, huh? I'm glad you read the poem and commented on how it inspired you. Do you enjoy reading poetry? How about writing poetry?

Anonymous said...

I love writing poetry. I have alot of poems at home. Maybe i could share some with you sometime. I don't read it as often as i would like. ~ashley~

Mrs. Spear said...

I used to write poetry a lot, too. It's just hard to find the time to do so any more. Life gets more hectic. However, I believe that there is a calming, relaxing effect that comes from writing poetry. It's a way to self-express. Don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Well, when reading this poem I really thought to myself that if you can beleive in yourself, and think postivie, and trust in yourself you can find yourself being very indepent.

Megan*

Mrs. Spear said...

Megan (and everyone), who do you think is the writer of the poem, and to whom do you think he is writing . . . and why? What line or lines in this poem mean the most to you . . . and again, why?