Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Fine Art of Multi-Tasking

What are you doing right now as you read this blog? Are you focused on the content of this particular post or are you also thinking about the several other things that you need to work on, key up, comment to, read over, log into, print out, look up.


You are a part of the multitasking generation who have learned the ability to execute more than one task at a time--where the norm is the belief that the few can be made to do the work of many . . . which leads us into the state of multitasking. Gone are the days of just watching the anchorperson deliver the evening news. Now we have to listen AND read the scrolling text in several areas of the screen while ALSO peeling potatoes AND talking on the phone.

Multitasking--switching back and forth between activities of varying complexity--has become both a workplace and household catchphrase of the millennium. Unlike generations before, 24/7 is the lifestyle for us. But, if you allow it, the stress of having a lot of things on your plate can cause increased anxiety, a sense of feeling overwhelmed by various demands, physical-mental burnout, and depression.

So what to do??? Here are some tips that can help you better manage your time as you multitask your way into personal and professional responsibilities:
  • Determine what is important for success and what constitutes exceptional performance. Know what is expected of you and then set the goals and plans that will lead you to that success.
  • Use an activity journal to evaluate your use of time and your energy levels at different times of the day. This may help to give you some insight as to how much your time is worth, and which tasks should be avoided, dropped or delegated.
  • Maintain an appropriate diet, rest and sleep regiment so that you can spend more time performing well.
  • Give important work the quality time it deserves.
  • Control the distractions that interfere with effective work

And beyond all that, be an optimist, keep a healthy sense of humor, and laugh often.

How do you handle the stress of overload?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whenever I get stressed out, I just go into my own world. Usually I do something that let's me relax or something that makes me feel comfortable. Playing basketball seems to be my ultimate escape. When I go out onto the court, I forget about everything that worries me and just play. When I play, I'm relaxed and it's where I feel most comfortable.

-Amanda

Anonymous said...

Don't even get me started on Mult-tasking. Just yesterday, I was talking on the phone while playing a video game, eating my supper and all the while I am still holding a sensable conversation with my mom.

My advice on being stressed is simple. Go to you room or some place quiet and relax.

~Amber

Anonymous said...

Well when i get frusterated and annoyed or stressed I normally listen to music, go for along walk or talk to my friends. But normally when I listen to music it sometimes helps but not alot. But it seems that when i get out and go for along walk and talk to my friends that the stress and frustration just seems to go away.

megan*

Mrs. Spear said...

Glad to hear that the three of you are in touch with yourselves enough to know how to destress. As life evolves and more and different stressors bombard us, you really need to keep on top of ways to keep in check. My favorite destressor, you ask . . . powernapping!!! I love it;-)

Anonymous said...

Stress is very common in todays world. There is so much always going on, but if this wasn't so there would be so much less done. I kind of like the fast pace of today's world. Still I even find myself on overload. My stress is always helped through with music. I love the the way the beat of the songs just kind of soothes my mind. There is also a kind of music for every single type of mood I am in.

Mrs. Spear said...

Here's two quotes for you, Val:

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ~Berthold Auerbach

He who sings scares away his woes. ~Cervantes

Do you sing along when you listen to music?

Anonymous said...

All the time. I love learning the lyrics to songs because there is so much room to take what you hear in the lyrics and interpret it.